S Y N I S O N, a Hellenic (Greek) Laboratory has developed T W O I N N O V A T I V E M E C H A N I S M S.
These Mechanisms, having plenty of applications, are G R E E N because they S A V E E N E R G Y in these ways:
- removing many moving parts currently in use, increasing reliability and efficiency, and/or
- replacing current configurations with very low efficiency, such as hydraulic systems, and/or
- achieving transmission cases which were considered to be impossible until now.
The first of them, named "EXTREME" (EXtreme Transmission Ratio Efficient MEchanism) for the convenience of this presentation, refers to a Mechanism that transmits power with a very high transmission ratio*, inserting ONE only additional moving part between its input and its output, while the patent application for it has already been published with the publication number:
WO/2021/165707, receiving an excellent search report and written opinion.
* transmission ratios of the level of 1:10,000 for speed reduction is a really quite easy situation, while for speed increasing there is the need of further research and development for structural details, for transmission ratios much higher than 1:100.
However, the GREAT CHALLENGE is the second Mechanism, named "ELEUTHERO" ("ELEUTHERO-STROPHE", that means an independently rotating hub, is the proposed full name for this brand new Mechanism) for the convenience of this presentation, referring to a configuration which transmits endless rotation from a shaft onto a stationary frame to a shaft onto an endlessly rotating carrier, or vice versa,
of the rotation of the carrier, inserting THREE only additional moving parts between its input and its output.
The patent application for this Mechanism has just been published with the publication number:
WO/2021/260400, receiving an excellent search report and written opinion, as well.
In order to understand the operation of this Mechanism, one has to imagine how the adjustment of the propeller pitch for a helicopter take place.
However, there are several crucial differences, such as:
- for the "ELEUTHERO" there are robust gears in a planar arrangement, instead of delicate rods in a spatial arrangement for the helicopter and
- the adjustment stroke for the helicopter is finite, while all the angular strokes are endless for the "ELEUTHERO".
In this way the "ELEUTHERO" transmits HUGE AMOUNTS OF POWER, which the adjustment mechanism of a propeller pitch for a helicopter can not.
The configuration of the "ELEUTHERO" is such as to allow an isolated rotation of the carrier and an isolated rotation of a shaft onto the carrier: these two different rotations are absolutely independent with respect to each other, exactly as it happens for the helicopter mechanism.
The "ELEUTHERO" has a similar structural concept as the "EXTREME" and -which is more important- it can be perfectly combined with it, so as to achieve an INDEPENDENT POWER TRANSMISSION with a VERY HIGH TRANSMISSION RATIO.
There are plenty of applications for both these Mechanisms, while examples for the most significant ones are:
APPLICATION ON A WIND TURBINE
- on a wind turbine, replacing the current speed increaser with the "EXTREME" and/or relocating the speed increaser and the electric generator from the rotating nacelle to the stationary tower, even at its top, using the "ELEUTHERO"; among the many advantages of having the electric generator on the stationary tower is the deliverance from the complicated and inefficient "cable unwinding" technique or the traditional slip-rings and the other components for the transmission of the electric power from the rotating nacelle to the stationary tower:
- on a turret-carrying excavator or a crane or a battle tank, using the "ELEUTHERO" in order to transmit endless rotation from the chassis to the turret independently of the rotation of the turret, and achieving at the same time any required transmission ratio, using the "EXTREME" within the same Mechanism with FOUR only additional moving parts in total; among the many advantages of having the engine on the chassis and the hydraulic pump on the turret, is the pure mechanical transmission for the movement of the vehicle, per se, in space, instead of the hydraulic transmission currently in use, the unlimited (purely endless) rotation of the turret with respect to the chassis and the lowering of the center of gravity:
- on the steering bracket of a vehicle, using the "ELEUTHERO"; and it is obvious what a wild thing is A WHEEL THAT PROPELS AND STEERS AT THE SAME TIME (via robust gears instead of the delicate balls of the current constant-velocity joint) for any vehicle, especially for a 8x8x8 or 6x6x6 military or fire-fighting vehicle with very high ground clearance, or even for a 4x4x2 SUV or super-car or a simple 4x2x2 family or smaller car, achieving at the same time any required transmission ratio, using the "EXTREME" within the same Mechanism with FOUR only additional moving parts in total:
- on the steering bracket of an azimuth pod drive of a vessel, using the "ELEUTHERO" in order to transmit power from the engine of the vessel to the propeller shaft, absolutely independently of the endless rotation of the steering bracket, achieving at the same time any required transmission ratio, using the "EXTREME" within the same Mechanism with FOUR only additional moving parts in total:
APPLICATION ON A ROBOT TO MOVE AN ARM AND/OR TO TRANSMIT POWER FROM AN ARM TO THE NEXT ONE
- on the arms of a robot, in order to move the arm with respect to the base or its preceding one, using the "EXTREME", and/or to transmit power from the base onto the first arm, independently of the rotation of the first arm, or from the first arm onto the second one, independently of the rotation of the second arm with respect to the first one, and so on, using the "ELEUTHERO":
APPLICATION ON A PROPELLER HUB TO ADJUST THE PROPELLER PITCH
- on the rotating propeller-hub of a helicopter or other propeller-powered craft, on air or water, or even of a wind turbine (see all the related Drawings of the PCT application), using the "ELEUTHERO" in order to adjust their propeller or blade pitch, via the most compact and robust way, even with an endless angular travel of the final actuator with everything which this entails:
APPLICATION ON AN ELECTRIC MOTOR
- on an electric motor, thus constituting a compact electro-reducer with THREE only moving parts in total, where the carrier of the "EXTREME" is simply coincided with the rotor of the electric motor and the frame of the "EXTREME" is simply coincided with the stator of the electric motor, achieving a very low output speed, a few RPM, with a very high overall efficiency:
APPLICATION ON A SINGLE-AXIS SOLAR TRACKER
- on a single-axis solar tracker, for photovoltaic panels or other similar applications, using the "EXTREME", in order to reduce the speed of a usual electric motor with the lower possible power, from a speed of 2,000 RPM for instance, to 1/1,440 RPM (one cycle per day), achieving a transmission ratio of 1:2,880,000:
These MECHANISMS are Patent Pending
and until the next phase of their publication this website is under construction;
so, if you want more information, please, write directly to the address: